Asimov was also a noted humanist. He was named Humanist of the Year by the American Humanist Association in 1984 and served as the organization's president from 1985 until his death in 1992.
Here are a few choice quotes:
- "Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right."
- "Science can be introduced to children well or poorly. If poorly, children can be turned away from science; they can develop a lifelong antipathy; they will be in a far worse condition than if they had never been introduced to science at all."
- "Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition."
- "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"
- "When I read about the way library funds are being cut and cut, I can only think that American society has found one more way to destroy itself."